Investing as an Australian Investor

Modified on Thu, 12 Oct 2023 at 06:23 AM

If you are an Australian citizen – and you do not have an ITIN – we will require additional information in order to process your investments.

Please note that we cannot accept funds via credit card from Australian investors. For this reason, we strongly recommend sending all funds by wire transfer only. 

TIN for Australian Investors

In Australia, individuals receive a 9-digit number called the Tax File Number (TFN) from the Commissioner of Taxation. Please use this number for any fields asking for a social security number.

Business entities receive an 11-digit number called the Australian Business Number (ABN) from the Australian Business Register. Because this is not a 9-digit number, please use 000-00-0000 for business entity related TINs (known as an EIN in the United States). 

Investing with Retirement Accounts for Australian Investors

In Australia, the majority of citizens have what’s called a superannuation (or “super”) fund. As a general consideration, you cannot invest these funds into private American companies like the ones listed on Equifund.

You will need to open a self-managed super fund (SMSF); a private super fund that you manage yourself.

AML/KYC For Australian Investors

As a reminder, all non-US investors are required to submit additional documentation for identify verification.

In order to expedite the AML/KYC check, please upload the following documents to your account prior to making an investment, or immediately after doing so:

  • A valid government-issued identification: state-issued identification card, driver's license, or federally-issued passport are accepted. Military IDs are not accepted.

  • Proof of address (in English): Must be a utility bill, bank statement, or letter from a government agency, dated within the last 90 days.

Please be advised. That all proof of address documentation must be in English. For investors whose native language is not English, they may request an official translation of any accepted document, or otherwise request an “address verification” document from a financial institution in English.

The easiest way to get this done is to ask your bank for a document, on letterhead, stating something to the effect of "We certify that [Name of Investor] lives at [Address]"

Please be advised that we cannot legally process your transaction without these documents.

For more information on our AML/KYC policies – along with a step-by-step walkthrough on how to upload your documents – please refer to our knowledge base.

Was this article helpful?

That’s Great!

Thank you for your feedback

Sorry! We couldn't be helpful

Thank you for your feedback

Let us know how can we improve this article!

Select atleast one of the reasons
CAPTCHA verification is required.

Feedback sent

We appreciate your effort and will try to fix the article