Investing as a United Kingdom Investor

Modified on Thu, 12 Oct 2023 at 06:24 AM

If you are a UK citizen – and you do not have an ITIN – we will require additional information in order to process your investments.

Please note that credit cards are often declined for UK investors.. For this reason, we strongly recommend sending all funds by wire transfer only.

TIN for UK Investors

In the UK, Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs (HRMC) commonly uses two numbers to identify individuals and businesses; the National Insurance Number (NINO) – which is made up ot two letters, six numbers, and a suffix letter A, B, C or D – and Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) – a 10 digit number.

The UTR is automatically assigned to individuals when they do one of two things; register for Self Assessment or creating a limited company.

You can find this number on any documents from HMRC, such as:

  • Your SA250 letter entitled “Welcome to Self Assessment”
  • Your Self Assessment tax return paperwork
  • Your notice to file a tax return
  • Your statement of account [source]

However, because neither the NINO nor UTR is a 9-digit number, it cannot be entered into our system at this time; please enter 000-00-0000 into any fields asking for a social security number, EIN or other tax identification number on our website.

Investing with Retirement Accounts for UK Investors

For UK retirement plans (i.e. workplace pensions or personal pensions) you will need to open a self-invested personal pensions (SIPPs) in order to invest in private offerings listed on Equifund.

AML/KYC For UK Investors

As a reminder, all non-US investors are required to submit additional documentation for identify verification.

In order to expedite the AML/KYC check, please upload the following documents to your account prior to making an investment, or immediately after doing so:

  • A valid government-issued identification: state-issued identification card, driver's license, or federally-issued passport are accepted. Military IDs are not accepted.

  • Proof of address (in English): Must be a utility bill, bank statement, or letter from a government agency, dated within the last 90 days.

Please be advised. That all proof of address documentation must be in English. For investors whose native language is not English, they may request an official translation of any accepted document, or otherwise request an “address verification” document from a financial institution in English.

The easiest way to get this done is to ask your bank for a document, on letterhead, stating something to the effect of "We certify that [Name of Investor] lives at [Address]"

Please be advised that we cannot legally process your transaction without these documents.

For more information on our AML/KYC policies – along with a step-by-step walkthrough on how to upload your documents – please refer to our knowledge base.

Was this article helpful?

That’s Great!

Thank you for your feedback

Sorry! We couldn't be helpful

Thank you for your feedback

Let us know how can we improve this article!

Select atleast one of the reasons
CAPTCHA verification is required.

Feedback sent

We appreciate your effort and will try to fix the article