Investing as a New Zealand Investor

Modified on Thu, 12 Oct 2023 at 06:25 AM

If you are a New Zealand citizen – and you do not have an ITIN – we will require additional information in order to process your investments.

Please note that credit cards are often declined by New Zealand investors. For this reason, we strongly recommend sending all funds by wire transfer only.

TIN for New Zealand Investors

For New Zealand, individuals and business entities are given an Inland Revenue Department (IRD) number issued by the Inland Revenue Department. 

This number has either 8 or 9 digits. If it is 9-digits, please use this number for any fields asking for a social security number. If it is 8-digits, please use 000-00-0000 instead.

Investing with Retirement Accounts for New Zealand Investors

In New Zealand, residents can use a voluntary savings scheme called KiwiSaver. There is also something called the KiwiWRAP KiwiSaver Scheme, which gives you the ability to work closely with an adviser to create your own customised investment portfolio to fit your unique goals.

However, we have not seen any evidence that these funds can be invested in the private investment opportunities listed on Equifund.

AML/KYC For New Zealand Investors

As a reminder, all non-US investors are required to submit additional documentation for identify verification.

In order to expedite the AML/KYC check, please upload the following documents to your account prior to making an investment, or immediately after doing so:

  • A valid government-issued identification: state-issued identification card, driver's license, or federally-issued passport are accepted. Military IDs are not accepted.

  • Proof of address (in English): Must be a utility bill, bank statement, or letter from a government agency, dated within the last 90 days.

Please be advised. That all proof of address documentation must be in English. For investors whose native language is not English, they may request an official translation of any accepted document, or otherwise request an “address verification” document from a financial institution in English.

The easiest way to get this done is to ask your bank for a document, on letterhead, stating something to the effect of "We certify that [Name of Investor] lives at [Address]"

Please be advised that we cannot legally process your transaction without these documents.

For more information on our AML/KYC policies – along with a step-by-step walkthrough on how to upload your documents – please refer to our knowledge base.

Was this article helpful?

That’s Great!

Thank you for your feedback

Sorry! We couldn't be helpful

Thank you for your feedback

Let us know how can we improve this article!

Select atleast one of the reasons
CAPTCHA verification is required.

Feedback sent

We appreciate your effort and will try to fix the article